Personal Biography Service
The Oxford Centre for Life-Writing (OCLW) is a research centre based at Wolfson College at the University of Oxford, designed to support those who write auto/ biography and those who undertake research on different forms of life narratives. OCLW was formally established in October 2010, and since its creation it has built up a busy schedule of events (including talks and lectures, ‘in conversations’, seminars, workshops, conferences and symposia, and concerts).
Words by Design is a publishing consultancy offering a range of bespoke publishing services to individual and corporate clients, as well as to the printing and publishing industry. One of its core services is getting alongside clients to help them record their life story and turning the manuscript into professionally produced books for family and friends. Among its clients have been peers of the realm, CEOs, philanthropists, polar explorers, a taxi driver and a chimney sweep!
Key components of the service will include:
• Bespoke life-writing package to suit your needs;
• Interviews, writing, editing, research and proofing services all available;
• The skills of a post-graduate writer to create your book;
• Professional publishing services, including independent editing and proofing, typesetting, design and production management;
• A range of print and bind options available, utilising the skills of our Royal Warrant-endorsed printer;
• A hand-holding service that combines the professionalism of modern publishing houses with the writing experience of Oxford University post-graduates.
The service is overseen and managed by
• Dr Kate Kennedy, Weinrebe Research Fellow in Life-Writing at Wolfson College, Oxford. She is the Associate Director of the Oxford Centre for Life-Writing, and she teaches in both the English and Music Faculties. She completed a PhD in 2009 at the University of Cambridge on the work of Ivor Gurney, and her biography Ivor Gurney – Dweller in Shadows will be published by Princeton University Press in 2018.
• Dr Tony Gray, Director of Words by Design, who completed his DPhil at Wolfson in Philosophical Theology before entering the publishing industry. Tony has worked on over a hundred private biographies, acted as a consultant for other publishing companies, and his research interests include family history and human rights.
For more information and to discuss your potential project contact us.